A curry-house classic and nutritious to boot!
- Equipment required:
- A non-stick frying pan to fry the paneer is helpful.
- 2 blocks paneer, cubed. Halloumi will work at a pinch.
- Vegetable oil
- 800g frozen or canned whole-leaf spinach, defrosted
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 hot dried red chillies
- Garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wide, lidded pan. Fry the cubes of paneer on each side until browned. Remove and reserve.
- Heat more oil in the pan. When very hot put in the chillies and stir until the chillies darken. Add the onions and fry, stirring constantly until they are brown.
- Add the spinach and salt, cover and wilt the spincach. Stir once, reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 25 minutes.
- Uncover and cook, stirring until excess liquid is gone.
- Season to taste with garam masala and cayenne, mix in the paneer and serve.