Louisa's spinach lasagne
Retaining the colours of the Italian flag, this is a refreshing veggie
take on a classic.
- 12, or or 10 with leftovers for lunch.
- Equipment required:
- Two large lasagne dishes.
For the filling:
- 3kg frozen chopped spinach
- 1.2kg low fat cottage cheese
- 200g grated parmesan cheese
- Pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 4 chopped medium onions
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.6kg chopped tinned tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp mixed herbs
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- Approx. 400g lasagne
For the topping:
- 400g grated mozzarella cheese
- 100g grated parmesan cheese
Method for the cheese / spinach layers:
- Defrost the spinach (this can easily take 24 hours).
- Squeeze all the water out of the spinach. Discard the water.
- Mix the drained spinach with the cottage cheese and 200g of grated parmesan.
- Add the nutmeg and pepper to taste. Mix well.
Method for the tomato sauce layers:
- Fry the onions and garlic in the oil until starting to brown.
- Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, mixed herbs and tomato puree. Mix well.
- Bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Layer spinach and cheese, lasagne, tomato sauce etc. Depending on the shape of the dishes you'll usually get about 3 lasagne layers but it doesn't matter so long as you end with a tomato sauce layer.
- Mix the mozzarella cheese with the 100g of grated parmesan and spread over the top of the lasagne(s).
- Bake at 180°C / gas mark 4 for 40 minutes.
- Serve with garlic bread and salad.