Vegetarian chilli with avocado salsa
Being quick and easy to prepare, this tasty chilli is a tried and
tested meal for the first night of a residential after a long day's
- Equipment required
- Big pot and a mixing bowl
- Serve with:
Créme fraiche or plain yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped (carrots and courgettes are suitable pepper replacements)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 large, firm tomatoes
- 3 firm avocadoes
- 1 large red onion
- I bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
To make the chilli:
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, peppers (or their replacements) and garlic; sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add sugar and remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
To make the salsa:
- Skin the tomatoes, remove seeds then chop finely.
- Finely dice the avocadoes and onion.
- Combine everything together, add seasoning, lime juice, white wine vinegar and chopped coriander.